Frequently Asked Questions
Is the photo shoot in studio or on location?
- Because of Florida’s and Orlando’s significant lifestyle market, most photos on your comp card should be lifestyle images – photos that tell a story. That is why studio shots are not preferred. Therefore, keep in mind that we will be shooting in a public space; thus the change of your clothing will have to happen in public restrooms at the location or possibly in your car.
How many looks will we shoot?
- During a comp card session we will shoot six “looks”. Each look will represent a different situation, different clothing, a different background, with different accessories. The comp card produced by Orlando Comp Cards is an industry standard card with a headshot and name on the front, and 4 images and stats on the back. During headshot session we will shoot 2 looks.
What should I bring for a comp card and headshot session?
- Clothes: Bring mostly solid colors. Do not bring any clothing with floral prints or large patterns. Absolutely no clothing with big logos - small logos [on polo for example] are fine if they can be removed in post-production.
- Make sure the clothing fits. From experience, some women bring clothes too small and men bring shirts a size (or two) too big. Well fitted clothes are best.
- Try to avoid latest trends in fashion. Your comp card may last longer.
- Clothes should be without wrinkles – pressed and clean.
- Bring a variety of styles. Many different photos in a variety of tops is best for a comp card.
- Because of Florida’s and Orlando’s significant lifestyle market, most photos on your comp card should be lifestyle images – photos that tell a story. Bring variety of accessories/jewelry appropriate to your age. Tennis rackets, basketballs, skateboards, bikes, roller blades, guitars, business bags, luggage, or any other accessory that could be used for real-life situations or photos that tell a story.
- Bring at least one formal outfit (dress, suit with tie), a variety of casual options (shirts, t-shirts, pants, skirts, jeans, tanks, shorts, etc.). The last image shot will be sporty outfits (kids and some adult models), solid color swimsuits (women and men) or a shirtless shot in jeans (men).
- Bring any styling products (hairbrush, spray) you may need.
- Men can bring shaving gear in case they want photos with and without facial hair.
- Feel free to bring a friend to the shoot if that will make you more comfortable – they will be probably used to assist at the shoot though.
How should I prepare?
- Please come to your photo session on time. You will be charged $15 for every 15 minutes you are late. Similarly, if you have to wait, you will get $15 off for each 15 minutes of your wait time.
- If you are not using our make-up and hair stylist, please come with your make-up on. Make-up should be light and natural. Kids should have no make-up at all.
Do I need a makeup artist or hair stylist?
- I strongly recommend women hire a makeup artist and hair stylist. Our talented MUA and Hair Stylist can take care of both. Of course, feel free to use anybody who has experience in this area.
Will I see all the images you take and when?
- You will see all the images the night or the following morning of the photo shoot on our website. The images will be unretouched and only you (and possibly the agency with which you are signing) will know the link.
Will I receive all images on CD?
- For an additional fee, you can receive all images on a USB flash drive in small resolution, unedited.
What do I have to take care of?
- We can handle the entire process – the photo shoot, make-up, hair (if needed), editing, printing and even video comp card. All you have to do is to come to the session and pay the fee.
Do I have to bring my own clothes?
- With a variety of models of different sizes, we are unable to provide clothing for all models. Therefore you are responsible for bringing your own clothing.
Can we shoot at a location of my own choice?
- Yes, we can shoot at location of your choice including someone’s house, the beach, or any other public location that has no restrictions on photography. For private locations, you will have to secure a permission.
What time does a session generally starts?
- Most sessions are in the morning. In the summer months a shoot can start as early as 7 am (due to the heat). In winter around 9 am. Most sessions are scheduled for the morning because the unstable afternoon/evening weather conditions. Afternoon shoots are not prefered due to the sun being more or less above and the resulting shadows.
Can you submit my photos to modeling agencies?
- In some cases we can send the photos of new models to some agencies in the area though there is absolutely no guarantee that an agency will sign you just because it was sent by the photographer. Follow this link to review Orlando’s agencies and submit your photos based on the instructions on their websites.
Should I send my own photos to an agency or should I send the professional photos you provide?
- You will have to decide what to do. Some models send cell phone photos that show their potential, though in most cases a bad quality photo, group shots, small size images, images that do not show a model’s face clearly, images where the models is covering his/her face with hands (yes, I have seen several), or overly sexual images, will be immediately deleted. Serious models prefer to get professional photo shoots and submit those images.
Should I approach only one agency?
- You can contact several agencies, though many agents do not like when a model is multi-listed (signed with many agencies). After gaining some experience you may want to consider approaching agencies in different markets (Tampa, Miami, New York...).
What is a Video Comp Card?
- Video Comp Card is a small brochure-like unit that after opening starts playing images or video. We are the only photo studio to offer video cards that can display your photos or video in relatively inexpensive video card. Please visit theVideoCards.com for more info.
Do you require a deposit?
- Yes, a deposit of $100 paid online is required for a session.
How do I make the final payment?
- Final payment is due at the end of the photo session. Checks are preferred, but you can also pay with cash or credit cards.
What if I need to cancel?
- A cancellation more than a week before the scheduled shoot will result in a deposit refund. Any cancellation less than a week before the shoot will result in the deposit being applied to the next session you may schedule. Rescheduling due to weather is possible anytime.
Are you available for consultation before the session?
- To stay competitive my pricing is based on time spend at the photo shoot and on editing. Unfortunately I am unable to devote more time to meet the talent prior to the shoot. Feel free to call anytime or request a Skype call.
What is your experience?
- I have been professional photographer for last 10 years working on many different assignments. Please visit this website for my commercial work. My models requesting comp cards come from many different agencies and some of them worked in agencies in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Milan, Paris, Hong Kong, and others. I am also a “recommended photographer” by one of the larger local agencies.